Thursday, July 13, 2006

Q: Alternate Courses / IM Sports

Thanks for the email and the help during the visitings before. Hopefully I will pronounce the name right the second time. I am interested in the Neuroengineering Training program also. How have you liked it? I was curious on some of the classes for the program. I am not going to take the med school courses, so I was wondering if you knew what kinds of courses first years take for neuroengineering. Is it pretty flexible for the person or are there a 'core' neuro courses that a lot of students take? I've seen the website for the Neuro Training program, so I saw some of the courses listed there. I am just curious what was popular amongst first years.

And as for softball and intramurals in general, I would be interested in that too. I'm not coming up until August, so is that only for the summer or are there other intramurals during the year too? If you are the contact for all that, I would definitely be up for that.

Thanks for all the help and see you in the fall.


I enjoy being on the Neuroengineering Training Grant; in fact, I'm doing a rotation outside of the department right now, in the FM Kirby Center for Functional Brain Imaging. My PI is on the neuroengineering grant, but not part of BME.

The neuroengineering classes are pretty flexible -- you do have to make sure you fit the requirements on the PhD coursework handbook (http://www.bme.jhu.edu/academics/phd/phdstudhandbook/coursework.htm), which entails taking 600 or 400 level classes. I addressed some of these issues in a mass mailing to the rest of the first years. Which aspect of neuroengineering would you like to concentrate in? One concern that some of the alternate track students told me is that it's harder to get biology credits if you take the alternate track. However, you're also welcome to register for parts of the medical school classes; for example, some students take Molecules and Cells, Neuroscience, and Organ Systems, while opting not to take Genetics, Immunology, etc. Next semester, I'm taking Models of the Neuron, Applied Math for Engineering, Intro to Biostatistics through the School of Public Health, and an MRI course.

When are you coming up? We've got plenty of guys right now for the softball team, and I'm not sure when our games are ending. I'll ask our captain, though; there might be room if you'd like to play. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home